Monday 22 November 2010

Research- Veronica Bailey

Veronica Bailey is a fine art photographer based in London. I came across her work in Portfolio magazine and the use of text and the exploration into the life of another person made it relevant to look further into.

The project 'Post-script' is a beautiful one. It explores the love letters and correspondance that Lee Miller (best known for her photographs and model) had with people, though mostly her husband, Roland Penrose. The images form a photographic essay that explore these letters, mostly from the second world war when Miller was an accredited photographer with the US army.

I personally think that it's a gorgeous project. Such an intimate look into one of the most private parts of a person's life. The art of letter writing might be dead in favour of texts or emails, but for those in the army, the concept of notes and letters still exists and so the project is a touching one. The images are so tastefully done as well. They don't give away too much and are often named after the first or last line of the letters.

Besides the intimate interactions and loving messages in the letters, Miller also described a lot of the experiences and things she saw. She witnessed some of the crucial moments and times of the second world war and it's an insight many of us cannot even imagine. It's a look at a different era and the way she describes it and her feelings are a look into parts of her identity I'd know nothing of otherwise.

I like the mystery surrounding the images. As a viewer you feel very connected to the project, but that's without every really seeing any of the letters. The titles alone though and the way the images are shot suggest a powerful relationship and some honest, passionate letters. It also approaches the element of saving things that people consider important, such as letters and relationships even when the people involved have passed on. Memories connected with identity is something I hadn't thought about. I know my Grandad wrote letters to my Grandma during the war and it might be interesting to see if these still exist.

It's a series I wish I could have seen exhibited because I imagine it would have made the series even more powerful. Bailey listed the title, who it was to and even the date and time that it was sent which helps you follow a story.

While not directly a portrait series, it does explore identity and you get a sense of the person in a more unique (and I think) interesting way. I think I actually like this approach more than using actual people. Items, objects, photographs themselves and letters could be another way of making this investigation into identity for me. Here are some of Bailey's images from the series:-


No comments:

Post a Comment