Monday 22 November 2010

Research- Susan Derges

Susan Derges is an English photographer who often works in very abstract ways. One of her projects does interest me, however. "The Observer and the Observed" interested me because it looked at eyes and reflections of one's self. I haven't read too much into what she aimed to achieve, but when I first saw the images, with the eyes and her portrait reflected in the waterdrops and the blurred face, I immediately thought of identity.

Eyes are the most expressive part of a human. They're often the part of us that
stops us hiding the truth or covering up how we feel and they're used a gateway for a connection with another person.

Derges is interested in the way photography often means
a seperation between the subject and the viewer and I found it to be a way of connecting. Not only that though, but also a way of trying to show a part of herself to the viewer. She uses herself as the model and the eyes in the waterdrops, I perceived as a way of coummunicating something with us. Engaging with us and adding a more intimate feel to them.

I've included a couple of the images below. They're much more abstract th
an I would be trying to achieve, but I like the idea of looking at and photographing eyes. Perhaps it would be worth me trying to do a very tight shot of the participant's eyes and just have the relevant text beneath. Eyes say as much about a person as a straight portrait shot in the person's room and it may be a more simplistic way of approaching it.



No comments:

Post a Comment