Monday 22 November 2010

Motivation

I really can't put my finger on why because despite plenty of research and ideas, I'm really struggling to get this project off the ground. It's even more frustrating because my other module is going so well but I have a plan to try and work through this:-

Although some of the ideas for photoshoots that I'm going to try aren't my original idea, they are ways of exploring identity and right now, I just need to be making work. Whether it's brilliant or part of my original vision or not. So I'm going to carry on researching and actually found quite a few relevant artists in journals in the library. As well as that I'm carrying out several photoshoots over the next day or so which should hopefully kickstart the project more.

The first idea I want to try is using postcards. I have several blank packs and I want people to write on them and finish a sentence for me. The sentence will be "I wish I was..." and I'll get people to fill it in for me. I'd like to do it on a wide scale but will start off with just a few people and trying out different ways of displaying and/or photographing the results first before taking it to a wider scale.

Another idea is to get people to complete the same postcard but display it beneath a grid of 6 photographs taken in the person's bedroom. They'd keep their identity relatively secret as the items would only give a rough idea of the person or one they want to project. I'm hoping I can find a way of getting more people to take part in providing me answers using social networking, though my first experiment wasn't so successful.

Similar to the image of me holding the postcard with the text on it, I'd like to try this idea and keep the theme of the postcard being the focus and the slight background, using a mirror, to provide all you get to know about the person. I'm interested in including a mirror as the only snippet of someone as it's about the reflection and the gaze. I remember reading a quote about mirrors being the gateway to someone's true identity and soul and I'll do some research on these theories and experiment more with photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment