Tuesday 23 November 2010

Photoshoot Experiment

My research and thinking about where next to take the project brought me back to a project I started in A level but scrapped because I found it difficult to expand on. I photographed peoples beds in the morning. I gave the person no warning and so as long as they gave me permission, I photographed them in the state I found them.

As this project is more about investigating people and identity and I want to incorporate text, I have varied my idea from the one I started before. I'm still going with the idea of using postcards and so I asked people to complete the sentence 'This morning when I woke up...' to see how we all vary. As well as the postcard close-up shot, I also took one of the bed as I found out.

As this was an experiment, I only shot a few beds. I'm not sure if it's something I will continue further, but I wanted to make work and it is an interesting approach to a person's identity as their bed, the surroundings and thoughts in the morning can tell me a lot about a person. It's a different way of portraying people and my subjects were far more willing to let me do this than they were when i proposed doing actual portraits of them. As it may go more successfully to do this, this is definitely a route I should persue more.

Here's a little contact proof of the pictures and just a couple of them below to demonstrate the start of the idea. Tomorrow, when it's not a ridiculous time of night, I plan to make diptychs of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment