Tuesday 26 October 2010

Research- Emily-Jane Major

An American photography magazine alerted me to this artist and project and besides being a brilliant idea for a project and also well executed, it struck me as a great way of collecting 'data' for my own project.

Her project entitled 'Love is...' required making stills for every second of the film "Last Tango In Paris" then printing the 7000 or so stills onto postcards which s
he then posted in London and the West Midlands. The postcards had the image on the front and a freepost address already put on the back. The idea was that people would write next to 'Love is...' with whatever they felt it was and then post it back. I think it was a brilliant idea, but unfortunately for every 1000 or so mailed, she only received 50-60 responses which, although still good, is quite sad. However, she states that the project was as much about the cards that didn't return as those that did.

Personally, I'd love something like that to drop through my doorstep! Much better than bills and I'd be very intrigued by the concept, I'd probably want to know more about it and might have attached a note enquiring when I returned it. Love is one
of those things that everyone has an opinion or a question to ask about it. It's something that I'd say most people strive for, worry over or don't truly understand. She undertook a big project with a deeper meaning which is why I find it relevant and also fascinating.

Here are some stills of the postcards.





Looking at it from a method point of view, I think it's a perfect way of achieving honesty. Of getting people to be open and express themselves. Some people find it easier to be anonymous, a voice on paper rather than saying the words. Although I included one where a woman had signed her name and another where the person put an address of their own. I like the interaction involved and the connections made by Major.

Perhaps it's something I could consider on a smaller scale. If I was to hand a postcard around university that people could fill in anonymously where they write two things on (1) 3 things I think people think about me, 2) 3 things I'd like people to think about me) and explain where to hand it in by putting a box in Portland building or perhaps the student union then I'd be able to collect more about self-perception. I could then work with the postcards themselves or do what I did with my secrets project and give people a random postcard so their own truths aren't with them. This may be one way of getting more people to participate if they didn't have to be photographed with their own 3 words. It's definitely something to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment