Wednesday 27 October 2010

'Identity'

As part of my research, I do want to look at theories and opinion on what exactly identity is. So I've looked at various quotes, definitions and simple theories, posting anything I find interesting or might want to make an image around below.

"Identity is an umbrella term used throughout the social sciences to describe a person's conception and expression of their individuality or group affiliations (such as national identity and cultural identity)" - wikipedia definition

"The value of identity is of course that so often it comes with purpose." - Richard R. Grant

"Committing yourself is a way of finding out who you are. A man finds his identity by identifying." - Unknown

"Our identities have no bodies, so, unlike you, we cannot obtain order by physical coercion. We believe that from ethics, enlightened self-interest, and the commonweal, our governance will emerge." - John Perry Barlow

"Identity is such a crucial affair that one shouldn't rush into it." - David Quammen

"Identity is theft of the self." - Estee Martin

"The identity of one changes with how one perceives reality." - Vithy Jeyalogananathan

"A strong sense of identity gives man an idea he can do no wrong; too little accomplishes the same. " - Djuna Barnes

"An identity would seem to be arrived at by the way in which the person faces and uses his experience. " - James Baldwin

"Human identity is the most fragile thing that we have, and it's often only found in moments of truth. " - Alan Rudolph

Reading and looking for the quotes above, as well as the research on Gillian Wearing and Emily-Jane Major got me wondering what would happen if I were to say to people "Identity is...". What sort of answers would I receive? I'm going to put this theory to the test as more research.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet like rich chocolate from godiva...
    Running off my tongue like syrupy strawberry drippings...
    My Coco Chanel...a special blend...

    Thanks...my sweet Lady!

    ReplyDelete